Since rava upma is the easiest meal to prepare, it is being served often for breakfast or dinner in most of the south Indian families. Hence people esp. children get bored of taking rava upma, but we can make it interesting, healthier & tastier just by adding a handful of fresh green peas. Rava upma with peas can be enjoyed the most when served warm in the evening particularly during monsoon.
Although upma does not require any accompaniment, children like to take it with sugar and others may like to take it with coconut chutney or spicy pickle.
The recipe for rava upma with fresh green peas is as below:
Cooking Time : 10 minutes
- Roasted Rava (varutha ravai) – 2 cups (400 g)
- Mustard seeds (kadugu) – 1 tsp
- Black gram (ulundhu) – 1/2 tsp
- Bengal gram (kadalai paruppu) – 1/2 tsp (optional)
- Onions (vengayam) – 3
- Green Chillies (pachai milagai) – 5
- Boiled peas (veha vaitha pattani) – 1/2 cup ( 100 g)
- Flavorless cooking oil – 1/2 cup
- Water – 3 cups (600 ml)
- Salt – 1 tablespoon
- Chop onions finely, slit green chillies and keep them aside.
- Heat a pan with oil, add mustards and wait till the crackling sound stops.
- Add onion & chillies and saute till onions turn transparent.
- Add boiled peas, water & salt and bring to a boil.
- Now reduce the flame to low, add rava and stir quickly to avoid the formation of lumps.
- Close pan with a lid for 5 minutes allowing to cook rava soft & to form a thin crust at the bottom.
- Remove the pan from heat and transfer upma to a hot casserole.
- Serve hot rava upma with sugar or coconut chutney.
- Scrape off the crusts at the bottom of the pan as kids & children would love to take these delicious crispy crusts.
Tips & Tweaks:
- Measurement for oil, salt & water are very important for the right texture of rava upma.
- It is essential to roast plain rava before cooking, else upma would turn sticky.
- I used sunflower oil here, if you want upma to be more flavorful, you can mix coconut oil with any flavorless vegetable oil in the ratio of 1:3; if you add more coconut oil it makes you feel heavy even after taking a few spoonful of upma.
- I prefer to use slit green chillies so that these can be removed easily before taking upma; but if you like to chop them finely, you may have to reduce the number of chillies as they make upma hotter.
- Upma tastes even more delicious when shallots are used in place of onions.
- You can garnish upma with grated coconut, if you like its sweetness.