Millet porridge is the best breakfast that can be taken on a scorching sunny day. It keeps us cool, fresh & energetic all through the day. It is so filling that you don’t require anything till lunch. The millet I used here is pearl millet or kambu. Pearl millet is a flavorful protein-rich millet. Please check this link to know more about millets: https://millets.wordpress.com/
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Serves : 2
- Pearl millet (Kambu) – 1/2 cup (100 g)
- Curd (thayir) – 1 cup (200 ml)
- Pepper corns (mlagu) – 10 Nos.
- Cumin seeds (jeeragam) – 1/2 tsp
- Shallots (chinna vengayam) – 20 Nos
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Pressure cook (after whistle simmer for 10 min) millet by adding one and a half cups of water.
- Chop small onions finely.
- Grind cooked millet along with pepper, cumins and salt into a coarse paste.
- Add curd into millet mixture and whisk for 30 seconds.
- Transfer porridge to a bowl and add chopped onions.
- Kambu Koozh (Millet porridge) is ready to serve.
- For variation you can use green chilly (1 No) and ginger (1 inch) instead of pepper & cumins.
- Use shallots (small onions) only but not onions.
- You can add chopped curry leaves or coriander leaves for flavor.
- You can serve this porridge with any pickle or chutney of your choice.