Millet porridge is one of the best breakfasts that can be taken on a scorching sunny day during summer as it keeps us cool & energetic all through the day. It is so filling that we don’t require to take anything till the lunch. The millet I used here is a flavorful protein-rich pearl millet (kambu). You can check out the link here to know more about the health benefits of millets.
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Serves : 2
- Pearl millet (Kambu) – 1/2 cup (100 g)
- Water for pressure cooking millet – 1 and 1/2 cup (300 ml)
- Curd (thayir) – 1 cup (200 ml)
- Peppercorns (milagu) – 10 Nos.
- Cumin seeds (jeeragam) – 1/2 tsp
- Shallots (chinna vengayam) – 20 Nos
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Pressure cook millet (simmer for 10 min after bringing to high pressure).
- Chop shallots finely.
- Grind cooked millet along with pepper, cumins and salt into a coarse paste.
- Add curd into millet mixture and whisk for 30 seconds.
- Transfer porridge to a bowl and add chopped shallots.
- Serve Kambu Koozh (Millet porridge) with any pickle of your choice.
Tips & tweaks:
- You can use green chilly (1 No) and ginger (1 inch) instead of pepper & cumin seeds.
- It tastes best when shallots (small onions) are used but not onions.
- You may sprinkle chopped curry leaves or coriander leaves for flavor.
- You can serve this porridge with any pickle or thuvaiyal of your choice.