Avaraikkai poriyal (Broad beans poriyal) is a tasty healthy side dish that goes well with sambar, rasam or morkuzhambu. Kids also like this vegetable mainly for the tasty beans inside.
Health Benefits: Broad beans are rich in protein & fiber and good sources of vitamins & minerals. It also helps to reduce blood sugar & LDL (bad cholesterol).
Avarakka poriyal recipe:
Cooking Time: 20 min
- Broad beans (avaraikai) – 250 g
- Coconut oil – 2 tsp
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Coconut gratings – 2 tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Separate the beans from vegetable.
- Chop broad beans into thin strips.
- Heat a steamer after adding 2 cups of water into the lower vessel and bring it to a boil.
- Keep vegetable strips on top of its beans in the upper vessel and close with its lid.
- Steam vegetables until they become soft (it took 7 minutes for me).
- Heat a pan with oil in low flame.
- Add chilli powder into oil and swiftly mix it with oil before it gets burnt.
- Add cooked vegetables and saute till the vegetables are evenly coated with chilli powder.
- Add salt & mix well.
- Garnish with coconut gratings & serve with hot rice.
Please Note: I skipped tempering as chilli powder may easily get burnt after tempering. Instead you can do the tempering separately and add to the poriyal at the end.