Broad beans are rich in protein & fiber and also a good source of vitamins & minerals. It helps lower blood sugar & LDL (bad cholesterol). Avaraikkai poriyal (Broad beans poriyal) is a very tasty healthy side dish that goes well with sambar, rasam or morkuzhambu. Kids also like this vegetable mainly for its tasty beans.
Cooking Time: 20 min
- Broad beans (avaraikai) – 250 g
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Coconut gratings – 2 tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Separate beans from broad beans vegetable.
- Cut broad beans into thin strips.
- In a steamer, add 2 cups of water into the lower vessel and bring it to a boil.
- Keep vegetable strips on top of its beans in the upper vessel and close steamer with its lid.
- Steam vegetables until they become soft (it took 7 minutes for me).
- Heat a pan with oil in low flame.
- Add chilli powder into oil and swiftly mix it with oil before it gets burnt.
- Add cooked vegetables and saute till it gets evenly mixed with chilli powder.
- Add salt & mix well.
- Garnish with coconut gratings & serve with hot rice.
I just skipped tempering because chilli powder may easily get burnt after tempering. Instead you can do the tempering separately and add to the poriyal at the end.