Millet Kichadi is our family’s favorite breakfast. Generally I prepare this nutritious kichadi on my son’s exam day as it helps to keep him alert & afresh during his exam even if he had slept for few hours in the previous night. All ingredients in this kichadi are rich in micro-nutrients and make this kichadi a complete food.
I used little millet or saamai here and you can try with other similar millets also. You may refer the table below for the health benefits of millets.
Now the recipe for saamai kichadi is as below:
Cooking Time : 30 min
Serves : 2
- Little millet (saamai) – 1/2 cup (100 g)
- Carrot – 1 No
- Potato (urulai) – 1 No
- Fresh peas – 50 g
- Shallots (chinna vengayam) – 10 Nos
- Green chilli – 1 No
- Red chilli – 3 Nos
- Ginger – 1 inch piece
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Coconut oil – 25 ml (1/8 cup)
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Water – 1 cup (200 ml)
- Wash all vegetables.
- Wash millets, drain water completely and keep them aside.
- Peel shallots & fresh peas.
- Peel off potato skin.
- Cut carrot & potato into small dices.
- Chop onions & ginger finely.
- Slit green chilli & break red chillies into halves.
- Heat pressure cooker with oil in medium flame.
- Add onions, green chilli, red chillies, ginger, turmeric powder and vegetables & saute for a minute.
- Pour water into cooker, add millets & salt and bring them to a boil.
- Close the cooker & simmer for 5 min.
- When the pressure is released, gently mix kichadi with wooden spatula.
- Serve hot millet kichadi with coconut chutney.
- If you are trying this recipe with other millets like panivaragu or thinai you may have to adjust the water & time (for pressure cooking) accordingly.
- I avoid tempering here as I feel it affects earthy flavor of millets; but if you want you can do the tempering with mustards & curry leaves before adding onion.
- Combination of red chilli, green chilli & ginger makes kichadi so delicious & aromatic.
- You can also try mixing equal portions of coconut oil & any other flavorless vegetable oil; I must admit that coconut oil is one of the reasons behind its taste.