Coconut chutney is a commonly prepared accompaniment in every South Indian household.
It can be served with idli, dosa, uthappam, pongal, kichadi, vadai or bajji.
You can check the restaurant style coconut chutney recipe as below:
Time Taken : 3 min
- Coconut pieces – 9 Nos. (each 1 inch)
- Green chillies – 2 Nos.
- Roasted Bengal gram (pottu kadalai) – 1 tbsp
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Scrape the brown skin off from coconut pieces using peeler (or use grated coconut).
- In a mixer-grinder jar add green chillies, coconut, roasted grams and salt.
- Grind them without adding water for 15 sec.
- Add 25 ml water and grind for a minute to make a smooth paste.
- Transfer to a bowl and serve with tempering.
- You can prepare coconut chutney with red chillies and roasted gram as optional; if you are serving spicy coconut chutney (with red chillies) then it is not required to make sambar for pongal, kichadi, etc.
- If you want chutney to be more spicier, add more chillies along with little tamarind or a tbsp of curd.
- You can add ginger to make it refreshing & pungent.
- You can also add few shallots (5 Nos.) and/or garlic (3 pods), it goes well with gothumai dosai, ragi dosai, etc.