Tiffin Sambar can be prepared with green gram (paasi parupu) or masoor dal. In this post I used green gram and it goes very well with idli, dosa varieties, or pongal. If you are serving sambar alone for plain idli or dosa, you have to make it spicier by adding more chilli powder.
Cooking Time: 30 min
Serves : 3
- Green gram dal – 1/2 cup (100 g)
- Onions – 2 No.
- Tomato – 3 Nos.
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Sambar powder – 1 tsp
- Chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida – 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Cut onions into long slices and chop tomatoes.
- Wash green gram & add water (300 ml) into it for pressure cooking.
- And then add chilli powder, turmeric powder, onions & tomatoes.
- Pressure cook gram mixture (simmer the flame for 5 min. after whistle).
- Mix sambar powder with water (2 tbsp) and keep aside.
- Heat a heavy bottom pan with oil, add cumins & curry leaves and fry for 10 sec.
- Add sambar powder water & asafoetida and bring to a boil.
- Add cooked gram mixture & blend them together.
- Add sufficient water to get pouring consistency and bring to a boil.
- Garnish with coriander leaves & serve hot sambar with any tiffin.