Vallarai keerai or Centella Asiatica is a wonderful herb mainly used for improving memory. It is always better to use these fresh leaves in our food than taking as capsules. This chutney can be used as a spread for breads or masal dosa or it can be used as a side for any rice varieties, idli or dosa. We can serve this chutney to children or teens while they prepare for competitive exams & also to aging parents with decreased memory; we can surely see them with improved memory after including this chutney regularly in their diet.
- Vallarai Keerai – 1 bunch (please refer the image for quantity)
- Red chillies – 6 Nos.
- Black gram (karuppu ulundhu)- 1 tbsp
- Tamaraind (puli) – please refer the image for quantity
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Wash & chop vallarai keerai.
- Heat a pan with 1 tsp oil & saute vallarai for few min.
- Transfer to a bowl and allow them to cool.
- Heat a pan with 1 tsp oil & fry red chillies & black gram till they are roasted.
- In a mixer-grinder jar add red chillies & black gram and grind into a powder.
- Add vallarai, tamarind & salt and grind into a smooth paste.
- Transfer vallarai thuvaiyal to a container & it can be refrigerated for a week.
- Serve with bread, idli, dosa or any rice varieties.
Please Note: We can replace vallarai with thoothuvalai, pirandai, etc. and prepare thuvaiyal.