Vallarai keerai or Centella Asiatica is a wonderful herb mainly used for improving memory. We can serve this chutney to children or teens while they prepare for competitive exams & also to aging parents with decreased memory; we can surely notice them with improved memory while including this chutney regularly in their diet. It is always better to include fresh herbs in our diet than just swallowing these herbal capsules.
Vallarai chutney can be used as a spread for breads or for masals dosa; it can also be used as a side for idli, dosa, or any rice varieties.
You can check the recipe for vallarai thuvaiyal as below, you can follow the same recipe for preparing thoothuvalai thuvaiyal or pirandai thuvaiyal also by replacing vallarai with thoothuvalai or pirandai.
Time taken: 10 min
Yield: 1/2 cup
- Vallarai Keerai – 1 bunch (please refer the image for quantity)
- Red chillies – 6 Nos.
- Black gram (karuppu ulundhu)- 1 tbsp
- Tamaraind (puli) – please refer the image for quantity
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Wash & chop vallarai keerai.
- Heat a pan with 1 tsp oil, saute vallarai for few min and remove from pan.
- In the same pan add 1 tsp oil, roast red chillies & black gram lentils and remove them from pan while red chillies are puffed and lentils releasing its aroma.
- Transfer to a bowl and allow them to cool.
- In a mixer-grinder jar add red chillies & black gram and grind into a powder without adding water.
- Add vallarai, tamarind & salt and grind into a smooth paste after adding little water (about 25ml).
- Transfer vallarai thuvaiyal to a container & it can be refrigerated for a week.
- Serve with bread, idli, dosa or any rice varieties.
Please Note: Vallarai herb tastes slightly bitter, you can also add a pinch of palm jaggery or cane jaggery if your child refuses to take it.