Millet payasam is a dessert that you can take with no guilt as it is gluten free; I have used coconut paste instead of coconut milk so that it contains less fat. Everybody will surely love this crunchy yummy flavorful payasam. The millet I used here is foxtail millet very much suitable for making desserts.
Please check this link to know more about millets: https://millets.wordpress.com/
Cooking Time: 40 min
- Foxtail millet (thinai) – 1/3 cup
- Greengram (paasi paruppu) – 1/4 cup
- Jaggery (vellam) – 1 cup
- Milk – 1/4 cup
- Coconut – 1/2
- Cardamom – 1 No
- Roast greengram in a pan, add to millet & wash them.
- Pressure cook (water ratio is 1:3, simmer for 10 min after whistle) millet & greengram.
- Mash millet & cereal mixture with the back of a ladle.
- Grind coconut & cardamom coarsely without adding water.
- Boil 1 cup water with jaggery till it gets dissolved, strain jaggery syrup from impurities and bring it to a boil.
- Add millet mixture into jaggery syrup and simmer for 2 min.
- Add ground coconut followed by milk and mix them well.
- Garnish with coconut pieces fried in ghee (clarified butter).
- Adding cardamom along with coconut while making paste enhances the flavor of this dessert. We have to add coconut paste just before turning off the stove as it helps to increase the intake of good cholesterol; else it is likely to increase bad cholesterol.
- After adding milk give a quick stir and turn off the stove immediately as it may cause curdling.