Any lunch meal in South India is incomplete without aviyal (Mixed Vegetables in Coconut Gravy). Most of the traditional Indian recipes use mixed grains, or mixed pulses, or mixed vegetables, or mixed fruits. Nowadays nutritionists recommend to include mixed vegetables/ pulses/ grains/ fruits in our diet as it prevents vitamin & mineral deficiency; hence it is a good practice to serve such food especially to growing children as frequent as possible.
Now the recipe for avial is as below:
Cooking Time: 30 min
Serves : 4
- Drumsticks (murungai kai)- 2 Nos
- Carrots – 2 Nos
- Beans – 10 Nos
- Potatoes (urulai) – 2 Nos
- Eggplants (brinjal) – 4 Nos
- Coconut (small) – 1/3
- Green chillies – 2 Nos.
- Shallots (chinna vengayam) – 8 Nos.
- Cumins (jeeragam)- 1/2 tsp
- Curd (thayir)- 1/2 cup
- Mustards (kadugu) – 1/2 tsp
- Curry Leaves (karivepilai) – 2 sprigs
- Coconut oil for tempering (thengai yennai thalipatharku) – 1 tbsp
- Wash all vegetables and cut them into batons.
- Grind coconut, chillies, shallots & cumins without adding water and then add curd to grind into a fine paste.
- Add water into a heavy bottom vessel and bring it to a boil.
- First add the vegetables that take longer time to get cooked.
- When they are half cooked add remaining vegetables (to avoid them turn mushy).
- Cook all vegetables until soft, add salt and mix them well.
- Add coconut paste and cook for a minute.
- Remove from heat and garnish with tempering.
- Serve as a side with rice and any kuzhambu or curry.
- I have prepared Avial with the most commonly used vegetables, ie., it may not taste good if any of these vegetables are not included. You can also use other vegetables like pumpkin, ash gourd (white pumpkin), chayote (chow chow), snake gourd (pudalai), broad beans (avarai), cluster beans (kothavarai), raw mango, unripe banana, any tuber including sweet potato or palakottai (jackfruit seeds).
- If you add raw mango, you may have to reduce curd by half.
- Before adding coconut paste, a tablespoon of virgin coconut oil can be added for extra richness & flavor.