Carrot chutney is a healthy chutney and is a good alternate to our regular coconut chutney or onion chutney. As our daily screen time is getting increased nowadays, it is better to take carrots at least one serving per day for good vision. So we can serve this chutney with spongy uthappam or crispy dosa to include as much carrots as possible in our every meal.
This chutney is prepared by my mother-in-law, Mrs. N.Easwari, a septuagenarian. She still shows lot of interest to learn new recipes by watching cookery shows & reading magazines and tries to make them whenever possible.
Cooking Time: 10 min
Serves : 4
- Carrot – 1 No (large)
- Red chillies – 5 Nos
- Tamarind – (please refer the image)
- Oil (for frying carrot)- 1 tsp
- Salt – 3/4 tsp
- Peel carrot & chop it roughly.
- Heat a pan with oil.
- Add red chillies & chopped carrot.
- When chillies are roasted, remove them from pan and keep aside.
- Add tamarind and saute for 2 min and set aside till it reaches room temperature.
- First grind red chillies into powder and then add tamarind & sauteed carrot into the jar.
- Add 3 tbsp of water & salt and grind into a fine paste.
- Transfer chutney to serving dish and garnish with tempering.
This chutney is prepared spicier as it is intended to serve with spongy dosa . If you want to make it less spicy, you can reduce 1 or 2 chillies or you can add a teaspoon of grated coconut.
If you add coconut & carrot in equal portions, you will get a chutney in vibrant yellow color, so you can try this carrot-coconut chutney like by kids!