Carrot chutney is a colorful healthy tasty chutney. As our daily screen time is getting increased nowadays, it is better to take carrots at least one serving per day for good vision. It is a good alternate to our regular coconut chutney or onion chutney and it goes very well with spongy or crispy dosa.
This chutney is prepared by my mother-in-law, Mrs. N.Easwari, a septuagenarian. She still shows lot of interest to learn new recipes by watching cookery shows & reading magazines and tries to make them whenever possible.
Cooking Time: 10 min
Serves : 4
- Carrot – 1 No (large)
- Red chillies – 5 Nos
- Tamarind – (please refer the image)
- Oil (for frying carrot)- 1 tsp
- Salt – 3/4 tsp
- Peel the carrot & chop roughly.
- Heat a pan with oil.
- Add red chillies & carrot pieces.
- When chillies are roasted, remove them from pan and keep aside.
- Add tamarind and saute for 2 min and set aside till it reaches room temperature.
- First grind red chillies into powder and then add tamarind & fried carrot pieces to grind.
- Add 3 tbsp of water & salt and grind into fine paste.
- Transfer the chutney to serving dish and garnish with tempering.
This chutney is prepared spicier as it is intended to serve with spongy dosa . If you want to make it less spicy, you can reduce 1 or 2 chillies or you can add a teaspoon of coconut gratings.
If you add coconut & carrot in equal portions, you will get a chutney in vibrant yellow color, so you can try this carrot-coconut chutney specially for your kids!