I remember drinking Golden Milk for the first time when I was about 5 years old. I was woken up from sleep by mother, she held a glass of golden milk near my mouth and made me to empty the glass. Although I was so drowsy, I still remember sweet ‘n’ spicy warm milk soothing my throat. Whenever I think of Golden milk, it reminds me of its soothing effect on my throat and my mother’s love & care. She used to serve this milk to me & my siblings before going to sleep, when we started showing symptoms of flu & cold. I also give the same Golden milk to my son for his sore throat.
Preparation Time : 5 min
Serves : 1
- Luke warm milk (vedhu vedhupana paal) – 250 ml
- Powdered palm sugar (panang karkandu podi) – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder (manjal thool) – 1/2 tsp
- Freshly ground pepper (milagu thool) – 1/4 tsp
- In a drinking mug add powdered palm sugar, turmeric powder and pepper powder.
- Add 50 ml milk to these powders & stir them with a spoon.
- Now pour rest of the milk into the mug & give a final stir.
- Golden milk is ready to drink.
Please refer the ingredient image for palm sugar crystal. First break this crystal into pieces using mortar & pestle and grind into fine powder using mixer grinder.
Palm sugar is not as sweet as cane sugar; 3 tsp (or 1 tbsp) of powdered palm sugar is required to sweeten a cup of milk.