Horsegram or kollu is a wonder bean with lots of health benefits, keeps us warm during winter, aids in weight loss, controls cholesterol level and treats peptic ulcer, jaundice, menstrual problems, etc.
Kollu Idli podi (Horsegram Idli Powder) is a healthy tasty flavorful powder that can be served with idli or dosa.
Best way to include horsegram in our diet is by adding a teaspoon of horsegram idli powder into a cup of buttermilk.
- It helps to reduce body heat generated by horsegram.
- Taking this buttermilk everyday results in weight loss.
Preparation Time : 20 min
- Horsegram (kollu) – 1 cup (200 g)
- Black gram (karuppu ulundhu)- 1/2 cup (100 g)
- Red chillies (milagai vatral) – 25 Nos.
- Garlic (poondu) – 10 pods
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Sesame oil (nallennai) – 1 tsp
- Heat a pan with oil, fry red chillies & remove from pan.
- In the same pan fry horsegram & blackgram separately till they release aroma.
- Wait till lentils reach room temperature.
- In a mixer-grinder jar, add red chillies & grind to a powder.
- Then add both lentils & grind to coarse powder.
- Add garlic & salt and whisk till they all blend together.
- Store in a dry air-tight container.
- Mix with sesame oil & serve as an accompaniment for dosa or idli.
- Also sprinkle on a spongy dosa to make Podi Uthappam.