Horse gram or kollu is a wonder bean with lots of health benefits: aids in weight loss, controls cholesterol and treats peptic ulcer, jaundice, menstrual problems, etc. keeps us warm during winter.
Best way to include horse gram in our diet is by adding a teaspoon of horsegram idli powder into a cup of buttermilk.
- It helps to reduce body heat generated by horsegram.
- Taking this buttermilk everyday results in weight loss.
We can mix kollu podi with sesame oil, marinate idli or dosa in this mixture before serving and it tastes better if it is kept marinated longer. Alternately we can sprinkle kollu podi over hot dosa while cooking on a griddle and serve as podi uthappam.
Preparation Time : 20 min
Yield : 1 and 1/2 cup
- Horsegram (kollu) – 1/2 cup (100 g)
- Black gram (karuppu ulundhu)- 1/2 cup (100 g)
- Red chillies (milagai vatral) – 25 Nos.
- Garlic (poondu) – 1 bulb (10 pods)
- A small piece of asafoetida block
- Sesame oil (nallennai) – 1 tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Heat a pan with oil, roast asafoetida block and red chillies separately.
- In the same pan fry horsegram & blackgram separately till they release aroma.
- When lentils reach room temperature, add red chillies into a mixer-grinder jar & grind into a powder.
- Then add lentils & grind into a coarse powder.
- Add garlic & salt and blend together using “pulse” mode.
- Store in a dry air-tight container.