This chocolate cake is my son’s favorite cake for being dark, chocolaty and spongy. We all like this cake as it is healthy, light (without frosting) & soft; I used whole wheat flour instead of plain flour (maida) & light vegetable oil instead of eggs & butter. It is very easy to prepare and the process is not so lengthy but takes only longer time. At the end you will surely feel it is worth waiting to taste this splendid delectable chocolate cake.
Cooking Time: 60 min
Ingredients: (Listed here according to the images below)
- Whole wheat flour – 1 cup ( 200 g)
- Cocoa powder – 1/2 cup (100 g)
- Sugar – 1 cup (200 g)
- Flavorless vegetable oil (I used sunflower oil here) – 1/2 cup (100 ml)
- Curd – 1 cup (200 g)
- Baking Powder – 1 and 1/4 tsp
- Instant Coffee Powder – 1 and 1/4 tsp
- Baking Soda – 1/2 tsp
For Chocolate Ganache:
- Fresh cream – 1 cup
- Dark Chocolate – 1 cup
- Crushed Pistachios – 1 tbsp
- Chopped edible rose petals – 1 tsp
There are four steps involved in making this cake viz., mixing dry ingredients, making cake batter, baking & frosting.
Step I – Mixing dry ingredients:
- Sieve wheat flour in a bowl followed by cocoa and mix them thoroughly.
Step II – Making cake batter:
- In a bowl add sugar and curd, mix them till sugar dissolves in curd.
- Add baking powder, baking soda & oil and mix them.
- Keep it for few minutes (approx 5 min) till it becomes frothy.
- Add flour & cocoa mixture and mix them without forming any lumps.
- Add instant coffee powder & mix them evenly.
- Now cake batter is ready to be baked.
Step III – Baking:
- Preheat the oven at 180 deg.
- Grease a baking pan with 1 tsp oil.
- Dust the pan evenly with some flour as shown in the picture.
- Pour cake batter into the pan.
- Bake for 40 min or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Keep the cake on wire rack till it reaches room temperature.
Step IV – Frosting: (Optional)
- Microwave fresh cream in a bowl for 10 min. (Please refer the notes below.)
- Add chopped chocolates into it.
- Mix them well until chocolate melts & blends together.
- Pour this chocolate ganache over cake and spread with a spatula evenly.
- Sprinkle crushed pistachios & chopped rose petals on top of chocolate ganache.
- Slice & serve this delicious chocolate cake.
- If you are calorie-conscious, you may leave Step IV for frosting, even without frosting this cake tastes heavenly.
- Please adjust microwave time for fresh cream according to your ovens wattage; Beware that longer heating may lead to curdling; so pause the m/w oven & check the cream often. Or you can just keep it on a stove till its edges start to boil.
- Do not omit any ingredient, just follow the same measurements and cooking directions mentioned here; your attempt to bake this cake will be a sure success.