Greens that I have used here is Solanum Nigrum or black nightshade or manathakali keerai. It treats mouth ulcers and protects liver, this herb is being used to cure Hepatitis in rural Tamilnadu. Greens ‘n’ Lentils (keerai kootu) is a healthy accompaniment for rice; it goes well with any sambar, rasam or kuzhambu, except morkuzhambu.
- Leaves of black nightshadow (manathakkali keerai) – 1 cup
- Cooked green gram (veha vaitha paasi paruppu) – 1/4 cup
- Salt – 3/4 tsp
- Coconut – 6 pieces (2 inch each)
- Cumin seeds (jeeragam) – 1 tsp
- Green chillies – 2 Nos.
- Shallots (chinna vengayam) – 7 Nos.
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Shallots – 15 Nos
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Wash & chop greens and steam them in a steamer.
- Grind all ingredients for grinding into a fine paste.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, when spluttered add curry leaves & chopped shallots and saute them till done.
- Add steamed greens, cooked gram & coconut paste and blend them well.
- Add salt & water (1/4 cup) and bring it to a boil.
- Serve manathakkali keerai kootu with hot rice.