Fresh turmeric tuber (pachai manjal kizhangu) is a wonder herb with medicinal properties of anti-cancerous, anti-arthritic, anti-inflammatory & anti-microbial. It also prevents or delays the onset of Alzheimer’s disease. Although turmeric has been widely used as dry powder in Indian culinary, traditionally fresh roots were included in our food for medicinal purposes.
Turmeric roots are being sold during Pongal, a harvest festival in Tamilnadu in the month of January. Recently I have started replacing turmeric powder with this root and found that it tastes slightly peppery & bitter but has pleasant aroma. Since it is also anti-flatulent I have used along with raw banana in this recipe.
Cooking Time: 15 min
Serves : 2
- Raw banana (vazhaikai) – 1 No.
- Fresh Turmeric root (shredded) – 1 tsp
- Ginger (shredded) – 1/2 tsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Red chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Coconut gratings – 1 tbsp
- Peel & cut raw banana into cubes.
- Heat a pan with oil, add cumin seeds & curry leaves.
- Add shredded fresh turmeric & ginger and saute for a min.
- Add red chilli powder & fry for 5 sec.
- Add banana cubes & salt and stir fry for a min.
- Sprinkle some water & close pan with a lid till banana becomes soft.
- Garnish with coconut gratings & serve with hot rice.
Please Note: Since turmeric root tastes slightly bitter, sprinkle coconut gratings generously or add lemon juice (1 tsp) before serving.