Deep fried lentil patties (Aama vadai) are very popular South Indian evening snacks that can be taken along with a cup of hot coffee or tea. It is so delicious as it is crispy outside & soft inside. Traditionally patties are prepared without adding spices like fennel, cumin, garlic, etc. It tastes best when served with coconut chutney. Fried patties can be kept soaked in a bowl of thick curd (yogurt) for an hour and served as Thayir Vadai (lentil patties in yogurt).
Cooking Time (excluding soaking time) : 30 min
Serves : 15 Nos.
- Split chickpeas (kadalai paruppu)- 1 cup (200 g)
- Red chillies(milagai vatral) – 4 Nos.
- Ginger (inji) – 1 inch length
- Onion (vengayam) – 1 No
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- Wash & soak lentils in water, rinse & drain off the water after 2 hours and keep aside.
- Chop onion & curry leaves finely and keep them aside.
- Grind red chillies & ginger coarsely without adding water.
- Keep a tbsp of soaked lentils separately, add remaining lentils & grind into a coarse dough without adding water.
- Transfer dough to a bowl with left-over soaked lentils, chopped onion, curry leaves & salt and mix them well.
- Divide this dough into lemon sized balls &
- Heat a deep frying pan (with one inch oil) in high flame.
- When its temperature reaches about 225 deg Celcius, reduce the flame to medium.
- Flatten 5 to 7 lentil balls into patties and gently drop them one by one into oil.
- Flip over patties to fry both sides.
- Remove them from oil when they become golden brown and place them on a paper towel to drain excessive oil.
Serve hot with coconut chutney.
- I used sunflower oil here but my mother uses groundnut oil.
- My mother uses only shallots not onions.
- Patties should be fried in medium or low medium flame only.
- If you have difficulty in digesting lentils, just follow the steps below as they help reduce flatulence:
- Soak them overnight, drain water completely and rinse well with fresh water.
- Add fresh coriander leaves & cumin seeds into the dough.
- Ginger can also used for ease of digestion.