Deep fried lentil patties (Aama vadai) are very popular South Indian snacks. It is so delicious for being crispy outside & soft inside. Traditionally patties are prepared without adding spices like fennel, cumin, garlic, etc. on Deepavali day. The next day we used to soak excessive fried patties in a bowl of thick curd (yogurt) and serve them as Thayir Vadai.
It tastes best when served with coconut chutney.
Let us prepare aama vadai and the recipe is as below:
Cooking Time (excluding soaking time) : 30 min
Yield : 15 Nos.
- Split chickpeas (kadalai paruppu)- 1 cup (200 g)
- Red chillies(milagai vatral) – 4 Nos.
- Ginger (inji) – 1 inch length
- Onion (vengayam) – 1 No
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- Wash & soak lentils in water, rinse & drain off water after 2 hours.
- Chop onion & curry leaves finely and keep them aside.
- Grind red chillies & ginger coarsely without adding water using mixer-grinder.
- Keep a tbsp of soaked lentils separately, add remaining lentils & grind into a coarse dough without adding water.
- Transfer dough to a bowl with left-over soaked lentils, chopped onion, curry leaves & salt and mix them well.
- Divide dough into 15 lemon sized balls.
- Heat a deep frying pan with oil (about 1½ inch depth) in high flame.
- When its temperature reaches about 225 deg Celcius (or just before its boiling point), reduce the flame to medium.
- Flatten lentil balls into patties and gently drop them one by one into oil.
- Fry them in a batch of 5 to 7 patties depending on the size of pan.
- Flip them over to fry both sides.
- Remove from oil when they stop sizzling and place them on a plate lined with paper towel to drain excessive oil.
Serve hot with coconut chutney.
- Lentils I have used requires only 2 hours of soaking, you may check the soaking time of your lentils. If they are not soaked completely, you may notice the raw smell even after frying.
- I used sunflower oil here and you can fry in groundnut oil also.
- It is preferred to fry patties in medium flame.
- Ginger is added for improving digestion, you may also follow the steps below if you find difficulty in digesting lentils:
- Soak them overnight, drain water completely and rinse well with fresh water.
- Add fresh coriander leaves & cumin seeds into dough.