Karunai Kizhangu Masiyal (spicy mashed yam) is a tangy tasty accompaniment for rice or roti. It can also be used as a spread for sandwiches. Yam is an excellent & commonly used remedy for hemorrhoids (piles). We have to be little cautious that yam causes tongue prickling; it can be avoided by keeping them unused in dry place for few days (3 or 4 days) after buying and also by adding tamarind pulp or lemon juice or vinegar while cooking. Spicy mashed yam tastes best when served with paruppu sadham (rice & lentil).
Cooking Time : 30 min
Serves : 4
- Yam (karunai kizhangu)- 3 Nos.
- Sesame oil (nallennai)- 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds (kadugu)- 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves (karivepilai) – 2 sprigs
- Shallots (chinna vengayam) – 20 Nos
- Turmeric powder (manjal podi) – 1 tsp
- Red chilli powder (milagai podi) – 1 tsp
- Tamarind (puli) – Please refer image below
- Jaggery (vellam)- 1/2 tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Wash yams till soil is removed completely & pressure cook them (simmer for 8 min after bringing to high pressure).
- After bringing yam to room temperature, peel their skins, mash them well & keep aside.
- Chop shallots finely, extract tamarind juice & keep them aside.
- Heat a pan with oil, add mustard seeds, when crackled add chopped shallots, curry leaves and saute till shallots become translucent.
- Add turmeric, red chilli powders & saute for 5 sec.
- Add tamarind juice & bring it to a boil.
- Add jaggery powder & salt.
- Add mashed yam, combine together & keep it covered in low flame for few min.
- Spicy mashed yam is ready to serve.
Please Note: It is preferred to use sesame oil than any other oil for this recipe.