Karunai Kizhangu Masiyal (spicy mashed yam) is a perfect side dish for paruppu sadam and it is liked by kids for the spicy tangy flavor. Yam masiyal also goes well with sambar sadam, rasam sadam, kuzhambu sadam, or thayir sadam. mashed yam may be used as an accompaniment for chappathi and also used as a spread for sandwiches.
Mashed yam is an excellent home remedy for hemorrhoids (piles). Since fresh yam causes tongue prickling, it is better to use the old stock by keeping them unused in a dry place for few days (3 or 4 days) after buying. Also we can add tamarind pulp or lemon juice into the mash while cooking to prevent itching.
Cooking Time : 30 min
Serves : 4
- Yam (karunai kizhangu)- 3 Nos.
- Sesame oil (nallennai)- 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds (kadugu)- 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves (karivepilai) – 2 sprigs
- Shallots (chinna vengayam) – 20 Nos
- Turmeric powder (manjal podi) – 1 tsp
- Red chilli powder (milagai podi) – 1 tsp
- Tamarind (puli) – Please refer image below
- Jaggery (vellam)- 1/2 tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Wash yams till soil is removed completely & pressure cook them (simmer for 8 min after bringing to high pressure).
- After bringing yam to room temperature, peel their skins, mash them well & keep aside.
- Chop shallots finely, extract tamarind juice & keep them aside.
- Heat a pan with oil, add mustard seeds, when crackled add chopped shallots, curry leaves and saute till shallots become translucent.
- Add turmeric, red chilli powders & saute for 5 sec.
- Add tamarind juice & bring it to a boil.
- Add jaggery powder & salt.
- Add mashed yam, combine together & keep it covered in low flame for few min.
- Spicy mashed yam is ready to serve.
Please Note: It is preferred to use sesame oil than any other oil in this recipe.