Curd rice is a simple traditional probiotic meal. I make sure to serve curd rice to my family specially when someone taking a course of antibiotics; when antibiotics kill both good & bad bacteria, probiotics help to replace good bacteria.
Serving Curd Rice:
- Curd rice tastes best with udaitha kadalai thuvaiyal.
- It also goes well with coriander seeds chutney.
- It is delicious when served with aama vadai.
- Serve with any tangy spicy pickle also.
Please click images below for their recipes:
Even though we can add various spices, vegetables, fruits & dry fruits into this curd rice, I posted here the simplest form of curd rice with raisins & ginger. So try this curd rice that kids surely love to take.
Cooking Time: 30 min
- Boiled rice – 1 cup (200 g)
- Yogurt (curd) – 1 cup (200 ml)
- Milk – 1/4 cup (optional)
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Raisins (ular thratchai) – 1 tbsp
- Chopped ginger (inji) – 1 tsp
- Chopped coriander leaves (kothamalli) – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida (hing/ perungayam) – 1/2 tsp
- Pressure cook rice by adding 600 ml water (simmer for 15 min after whistle).
- Immediately after opening pressure cooker, mash hot rice with the back of a ladle until it becomes mushy.
- Heat a small pan with 1 tsp of oil, add mustard seeds, when they start spluttering simmer the flame and add raisins.
- Fry raisins till they turn fluffy and add to mashed rice.
- Now add remaining oil in the same pan, add ginger & coriander leaves and fry till ginger pieces become soft & tender.
- Add asafoetida & fry for 5 sec.
- Add tempering & salt into mashed rice and mix well.
- First add milk to cool down rice & then add curd and blend them well till it becomes creamy.
- Delicious probiotic curd rice is ready to serve.
- If you want to make curd rice rich & creamy, add 1 tablespoon of white butter along with curd.
- If you serve this to adults you can add green chillies along with tempering; it gives a nice aroma.