Curd rice is a simple traditional probiotic meal. I make sure to serve curd rice to my family particularly when someone takes a course of antibiotics. Antibiotics kills both good & bad bacteria and probiotics helps to replace good bacteria. So taking curd or curd rice during a course of antibiotics will help to keep the good bacteria alive.
Curd rice tastes best with tangy south Indian pickle; it can also be served with any vadai, thuvaiyal or chutney, mor-milagai, etc. Curd rice taken with sambar vengayam helps to improve the immunity. You can click the images below for their recipes:
Here I have posted a simple recipe for curd rice with raisins & ginger liked by everyone including children as below:
Time taken: 30 min
- Boiled rice – 1 cup (200 g)
- Curd (Yogurt) – 1 cup (200 ml)
- Milk – 1/4 cup (optional)
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Raisins (ular thratchai) – 1 tbsp
- Chopped ginger (inji) – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves and/or chopped coriander leaves (kothamalli)
- Asafoetida (hing/ perungayam) powder – 1/2 tsp
- Pressure cook rice by adding 600 ml water (simmer for 15 min after the first whistle).
- When the pressure is released, mash hot rice with the back of a ladle until it becomes smooth.
- Heat a small pan with 1 tsp of oil, add mustard seeds, when they start crackling reduce the flame and add raisins.
- Fry raisins till they turn fluffy and add to the mashed rice.
- Add salt into the rice and mix well.
- Now pour remaining oil (1 tsp) into the same pan and fry chopped ginger & coriander leaves for few seconds.
- Add asafoetida powder & fry for 5 sec.
- Add tempering into the mashed rice.
- Then pour milk over rice & mix well.
- Finally add curd and mix well until creamy.
- Delicious probiotic curd rice is ready to serve.
- If you want to make curd rice rich & creamy similar to kovil prasadham, you can add 1 tablespoon of unsalted white butter.
- You can add finely chopped green chillies while tempering for its beautiful aroma.
- You can also add finely chopped raw vegetables like carrot, cucumber, mango, etc., and fruits like chopped apple, grapes & pomegranate pearls into the curd rice.
- You can add chopped dry fruits like cashew, peanuts, etc. while tempering.
- You can make thayir sadam using millets like varagu, saamai, kuthiraivali & panivaragu as shown below.