Tomato Chutney is a delicious chutney and is so refreshing when a piece of ginger is added. Tomatoes contain antioxidants that fight against the formation of cancer causing free radicals. Tomatoes protect eyes from age related eye diseases. They are good for heart health and stomach health also. If we are taking tomato based food everyday it will surely have incredible benefits on our health. Click on this link from American Institute for Cancer Research to know more about tomatoes: http://www.aicr.org/foods-that-fight-cancer/tomatoes.html
Thakkali chutney can be served as a side for idli, any dosa varieties, kara kozhukattai, etc. It is a multipurpose chutney that can be used as a spread for sandwich, a dip for crackers, or a thickening sauce for any gravy or kuzhambu. So you can make it in large quantity & refrigerate for a week.
Time Taken: 10 min
Serves : 4
- Tomatoes – 3 Nos.
- Onions – 2 Nos.
- Ginger – 1 inch piece
- Sesame Oil (nallennai) – 1 tbsp
- Red chillies – 8 Nos
- Salt – ¾ tsp
- Chop tomatoes, onions & ginger and set aside.
- Heat a pan with oil, add red chillies, fry for a minute and remove from pan.
- Add onions & ginger in the same pan and sauté till onions become transparent.
- Add tomatoes and sauté till they become mushy.
- Add salt, mix them well and remove from flame.
- When this mixture reaches room temperature, grind into a fine paste.
- Transfer tomato chutney to a serving bowl.
- Garnish with tempering before serving.