Paruppu usili (lentil crumble with veggies) is one of the most popular south Indian sides served with rice. For people on weight-loss diet a bowl of usili can be taken as a mid-morning meal; it makes them feel full and it contains protein, fiber, vitamins & minerals. Also it can be packed as a healthy snack for children.
Usili may be prepared with vegetables like carrots, plantain flowers, beans & cluster beans or a combination of more than one vegetable. We can serve usili as a side for rice with any kuzhambu, particularly it goes well with morkuzhambu.
Here is the recipe for carrot & beans usili.
Time Taken: 30 min
Serves : 4
- Carrot – 1 No. (large)
- Beans – 15 Nos.
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Curry leaves – 2 sprigs
- Coconut – 3 pieces (2 inch each)
- Lentils – 1/2 cup
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Green chillies – 2 Nos
- Ginger – 1 inch piece
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida (hing) – 1/2 tsp
- Wash & soak lentils in a bowl of water for half an hour .
- Wash carrots & beans and chop them into small cubes.
- Steam vegetables in a steamer until they become soft & keep aside.
- Grind soaked lentils, green chillies, cumin seeds and ginger into a smooth paste without adding water.
- Transfer lentil paste to a greased bowl, close it with a plate and pressure cook (simmer for 10 min after bringing to high pressure).
- When lentils return to room temperature, chop them roughly.
- Grind coconut into a coarse powder without adding water.
- Add cooked lentils and whisk together and keep aside.
- Heat a pan with oil, add mustard seeds, when they start to splutter add curry leaves.
- Add steamed vegetables, asafoetida & half a teaspoon salt and saute for a minute.
- Add lentil mixture & remaining salt and mix them well.
- Now colorful usili is ready to serve.
- I prefer cooking lentil mixture rather than stir frying in oil.
- I used green gram just to feel light to take; instead you can add red gram or Bengal gram or mix lentils in equal portions also.
- If you use other lentils, you may have to soak longer and follow the same cooking method.