Ragi idiyappam is a delicious gluten-free breakfast that can be prepared in a jiffy using instant finger millet noodles. It is an ideal breakfast for weight watchers as it aids in weight loss. Finger millets can be included in children, women & old people’s diet as they are rich in calcium and iron.
It is a good practice to add tomatoes & bell peppers while cooking or just sprinkle lemon juice before serving an iron-rich food, this helps our body absorb iron completely, (ie.) in the presence of Vitamin C, iron is fully absorbed by our body.
Please check below the recipe for sweet & spicy ragi idiappam:
Time Taken: 30 min
Instant Ragi Noodles – 500 g
For sweet idiappam:
- Ghee – 1 tsp
- Coconut meat – 1/4
- Cardamom – 1 No.
- Golden caster sugar – 1/2 cup
- Cashews – 10 Nos
For spicy idiappam:
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Onion – 1 No.
- Green pepper (kudamilagai) – 1 No.
- Fresh peas (pachai pattani) – 1/4 cup
- Green chillies – 3 Nos.
- Tomato – 1 No
- Lemon juice – 1 tsp
- Salt – 3/4 tsp
- Soak instant ragi noodles in water for 5 min.
- Steam them in a steamer for 8-10 min, take 2 equal portions of steamed ragi noodles in 2 bowls & keep them aside.
- Heat a small pan with ghee in medium low flame, fry cashews and keep them aside.
- Grind coconut & cardamon into a powder.
- Add ground coconut & caster sugar into steamed noodles.
- Mix them well with a wooden spatula.
- Garnish with roasted cashews & serve sweet ragi idiappam.
- Boil fresh peas & keep aside.
- Chop onion, green pepper & tomato into small cubes.
- Slit green chillies into halves.
- Heat a pan with oil in medium flame, add onion & slit chillies and saute till onion turn translucent.
- Add green peppers and saute for a minute.
- Add tomatoes and saute till moisture is absorbed.
- Add boiled peas & 1/4 tsp salt and mix well.
- Add steamed noodles and mix with all veggies.
- Add 1/2 tsp salt & lemon juice and mix evenly before transferring to a serving bowl.
- Serve spicy idiappam with onion raitha.
- If you are using sugar granules, reduce sugar by half, (ie.) use 1/4 cup of sugar granules.
- You can also garnish spicy idiappam with coriander leaves or coconut gratings.