Vazhaipoo Vadai or banana flower patties are delectable patties with crispy skin and soft flesh. Banana flowers can be included into our diet in the forms of patties (vadai), stir-fry (poriyal), coconut curry (kootu), lentil crumble (paruppu usili), soup & salad. Banana flower patties are gluten-free snacks prepared using banana flowers & yellow peas.
Health benefits of banana flower: Banana flowers have flavor similar to that of artichokes. They are good sources of dietary fiber and hence useful to prevent constipation. They are also of low glycemic index (low-GI) and hence useful to reduce the blood sugar & for weight loss. Banana flowers are particularly beneficial to women as it keeps the uterus healthy, regulates the menstrual cycle, controls excessive bleeding, prevents constipation during pregnancy and improves lactation.
Health benefits of yellow peas: Yellow peas are rich in protein & dietary fiber. You may also refer this link from American Institute for Cancer Research to know more about nutrition facts of dried peas.
Now the recipe for vazhaipoo vadai:
Time Taken (excluding soaking time) : 30 min
Serves : 16 patties
- Dried yellow peas (pattani payaru) – 1 cup (200 g)
- Banana Florets – 50-60 Nos
- Shallots – 25 Nos
- Red chillies – 8 Nos.
- Curry leaves – 3 sprigs
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Oil for deep frying
- Wash yellow peas & soak in water overnight; wash again in the morning and drain the water completely.
- Peel the skins of shallots, chop them and keep aside.
- Remove stamen from banana florets.
- Grind red chillies & banana florets without adding water.
- Add yellow peas and grind into a coarse paste.
- Transfer patties dough to a bowl, add chopped shallots, curry leaves & salt.
- Mix them well and roll into large lemon sized balls.
- Heat a deep frying pan with oil (one inch deep) in high flame; when oil reaches about 200 deg C reduce the flame to medium.
- Pat each ball into 5-cm patties and gently slide patties (4 to 6) one after another into hot oil.
- Move them gently (using straining ladle) so that they don’t touch one another and flip them over to get them fried evenly on both sides.
- When patties turn golden and sizzling sound stops, remove them from oil.
- Place them on paper towels to drain excessive oil.
- Banana flower patties are ready to serve.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney.
- I used sunflower oil for deep frying; instead you can use groundnut oil.
- Do not soak legumes when you intend to grind into a dough; you can soak them in hot water only when you intend to cook them.
- Vazhaipoo vadai can be made with whole chickpeas (kondai kadalai or chana), split yellow peas (pattani paruppu), Bengal gram (kadalai paruppu), red gram (thuvaram paruppu), whole green gram (paasi payaru) or green gram (paasi paruppu) instead of yellow peas (pattani payaru).
- Soaking time for other legumes are:
- whole chickpeas – 8 hours
- whole yellow peas – 6 hours
- split yellow peas, whole green gram, split chickpeas (Bengal gram), red gram – 3 hours
- split green gram – 30 min