Vazhaipoo Vadai or banana flower patties are gluten-free snacks prepared with yellow peas and banana flowers. These irresistible patties have crispy skin mainly because of yellow peas.
Health benefits of banana flower: Banana flowers have flavor similar to that of artichokes. Banana flowers can be included in our diet as banana flower stir-fry (poriyal), coconut curry (kootu), lentil crumble (paruppu usili), soup & salad. Banana flowers contain dietary fiber and have low glycemic index (low-GI); they are used to treat stomach ulcer, prevent constipation and reduce blood sugar. Banana flowers are also considered to be a boon for women: they are very good for lactating mothers; when these flowers are taken regularly by women with excessive bleeding, it will give them a good relief.
Yellow peas: Yellow peas are rich in protein & dietary fiber. You can also check this link from American Institute for Cancer Research to know more about nutrition facts of dried peas: http://www.aicr.org/foods-that-fight-cancer/legumes.html
Time Taken (excluding soaking time) : 30 min
Serves : 16 patties
- Dried yellow peas (pattani payaru) – 1 cup (200 g)
- Banana Florets – 50-60 Nos
- Shallots – 25 Nos
- Red chillies – 8 Nos.
- Curry leaves – 3 sprigs
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Oil for deep frying
- Wash yellow peas & soak in water overnight; wash again in the morning and drain the water completely.
- Peel the skins of shallots, chop them and keep aside.
- Remove stamen from banana florets.
- Grind red chillies & banana florets without adding water.
- Add yellow peas and grind into a coarse paste.
- Transfer patties dough to a bowl, add chopped shallots, curry leaves & salt.
- Mix them well and roll into large lemon sized balls.
- Heat a deep frying pan with oil (one inch deep) in high flame; when oil reaches about 225 deg C reduce the flame to medium.
- Pat each ball into 5-cm patties and gently slide patties (4 to 6) one after another into hot oil.
- Move them gently (using straining ladle) so that they don’t touch one another and flip them over to get them fried evenly on both sides.
- When patties turn golden and sizzling sound stops, remove them from oil.
- Place them on paper towels to drain excessive oil.
- Banana flower patties are ready to serve.
- Serve hot with coconut chutney.
- I used sunflower oil for deep frying; instead you can use groundnut oil.
- Do not soak legumes (that are intended to get ground into a dough) in hot water; you can soak them in hot water only when you plan to boil them later.
- Vazhaipoo vadai can be made with whole chickpeas (kondai kadalai or chana), split yellow peas (pattani paruppu), Bengal gram (kadalai paruppu), red gram (thuvaram paruppu), whole green gram (paasi payaru) or green gram (paasi paruppu) instead of yellow peas (pattani payaru).
- Soaking time for other legumes are:
- whole chickpeas-8 hours;
- split yellow peas, whole green gram, Bengal gram, red gram-2 hours;
- green gram – 30 min