Maangai pachadi is a sweet sour & spicy mango jam prepared usually on Tamil New Year day. It is a delicious side dish for rice served with any kuzhambu or rasam; it can also be served as a side for ulutham paruppu sadam.
Health benefits of mangoes: Mangoes contain dietary fiber, vitamin A & vitamin C; they also contain antioxidants that fight against free radicals. Please check this slideshow to know about the surprising health benefits of mangoes:http://www.livestrong.com/slideshow/1011062-14-surprising-mangoes/#slide=7 Now you can enjoy this healthy jam as much as possible in this summer!
We prepare this pachadi with semi-ripened mangoes and the recipe is as below:
Time Taken: 20 min
- Semi ripe mangoes – 2 Nos.
- Powdered jaggery – 1 cup (200 g)
- Green chillies – 2 Nos
- Ginger – 2 Nos (1 inch piece)
- Cardamom – 1 No.
- Peel mangoes & chop their flesh roughly (of both large and small pieces).
- Grind green chillies, ginger & cardamom into a paste adding little water.
- Put mangoes in a cooking pan, pour water till they are immersed and cook in medium flame.
- Add ground paste and cook till mangoes become soft.
- Mash small mango pieces and leave large pieces as they are.
- Add powdered jaggery and stir well until dissolved.
- Bring to a final boil in low flame.
- Mango pachadi is ready to serve.
- I have used mangoes that are sweet & sour, if your mangoes are sour increase jaggery accordingly.
- Do not leave any ingredient for best results.
- You may do tempering with mustards & red chillies.
- If you don’t want to see whole pieces of mango, chop mangoes finely & mash them when cooked.
- Mango pachadi can be prepared easily in microwave oven also within 10 min.
- It tastes heavenly when a scoop of vanilla ice cream is glazed with this scrumptious mango jam.