Chinna vengaya chutney is a spicy tasty healthy traditional chutney mainly prepared for young girls & pregnant women.
Shallots contain flavonoids that have powerful antioxidant properties; shallots also useful for improving emotional health & heart health. Other ingredients in this chutney are curry leaves & black grams; curry leaves are rich sources of iron & folic acid and hence good for pregnant women; black grams contain calcium & other minerals required to increase bone density.
It can be served as an accompaniment for idli or dosa. It is also delicious when used as a dip for crackers or as a spread for sandwich.
Time Taken: 10 min
- Sesame oil – 1 tsp
- Red chillies – 6 Nos
- Split black grams (de-skinned) – 1 tbsp
- Shallots (chinna vengayam) – 12 Nos
- Curry leaves – 1 cup
- Tamarind – packed in 1/4 tsp
- Salt – half tsp
- Heat a pan with oil, roast red chillies & black gram separately and remove from pan.
- Add shallots and saute till they become translucent.
- Add curry leaves and saute for a minute.
- Add tamarind and saute till it becomes soft.
- Remove them from heat & keep aside till they reach room temperature.
- First grind all ingredients without adding water.
- Then add salt & water and grind to a fine paste.
- Transfer to a serving bowl.
- You can use skinned black grams instead of de-skinned blackgrams.