Yogurt Curry is a delicious traditional South Indian curry loved by everybody young or old.
Morkuzhambu is usually prepared with single vegetable like ash gourd (vellai poosani), drumsticks, ladies finger or colacasia (cheppang kizhangu). Any paruppu vadai (deep fried lentil patties) like vazhaipoo vadai, aama vadai or keerai vadai may be immersed into this curry instead of vegetable.
Meals with Yogurt Curry:
I have used ladies finger in this post. Also I used roasted Bengal grams (udaitha kadalai) for thickening, asafoetida for flavor. Since we can not allow this curry to boil longer, I do not add shallots or garlic while grinding masala.
- Sour Curd (pulitha thayir) – 1 cup (200 ml)
- Ladies finger (vendaikai) – 7 Nos.
- Coconut oil – 1 tbsp
- Fenugreek seeds (vendhayam) – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Asafoetida (hing) – ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Coconut – 8 pieces (each 1 inch)
- Green chillies – 4 Nos
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Roasted Begal grams – 1/4 cup
Mise en Place:
- Wash ladies fingers & cut into 1 inch pieces.
- Whisk curd till smooth and keep aside.
- Grind all ingredients listed under “For Grinding” into a fine paste adding little curd.
- Heat a pan with oil, add fenugreek seeds, when they turn golden add curry leaves.
- Add ladies fingers & sauté for a min in medium flame.
- Add turmeric powder & water and bring them to a boil.
- Close pan with its lid until ladies fingers become soft.
- Add coconut paste and saute in low flame until its raw smell disappears (or till it changes its color).
- Add water and bring to a boil in medium flame.
- Reduce flame to low and add curd, asafoetida & salt and mix them well.
- Remove from heat just before bringing to a boil.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with hot rice.
Mor-kuzhambu tastes good with plain rice, rice & mashed greens (kadaintha arai keerai) and adai.
Suitable accompaniments for rice with mor-kuzhambu are:
Colacasia Fries (cheppang kizhangu varuval):
Ladies Finger Stir-fry:
Elephant’s Foot Yam Fry (chenai kizhangu varuval):