Yogurt Curry is a delicious traditional South Indian curry liked by everyone young or old.
Morkuzhambu is usually prepared with single vegetable like ash gourd (vellai poosani), drumsticks, ladies finger or colacasia (cheppang kizhangu). Any paruppu vadai (deep fried lentil patties) like vazhaipoo vadai, aama vadai or keerai vadai may be immersed into this curry instead of vegetable chunks.
Meals with Yogurt Curry:
I have used ladies finger in this post. Also I used roasted Bengal grams (udaitha kadalai) as thickening agent, asafoetida for flavor. Since we can not allow this curry to boil longer, I do not want to add shallots or garlic for its masala paste.
- Sour Curd (pulitha thayir) – 1 cup (200 ml)
- Ladies finger (vendaikai) – 7 Nos.
- Coconut oil – 1 tbsp
- Fenugreek seeds (vendhayam) – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Asafoetida (hing) – ½ tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Coconut – 8 pieces (each 1 inch)
- Green chillies – 4 Nos
- Cumin Seeds – 1 tsp
- Roasted Begal grams – 1/4 cup
Mise en Place:
- Wash ladies fingers & cut into 1 inch pieces.
- Whisk curd till smooth and keep aside.
- Grind all ingredients listed under “For Grinding” into a fine paste adding little curd.
- Heat a pan with oil, add fenugreek seeds, when they turn golden add curry leaves.
- Add ladies fingers & sauté for a min in medium flame.
- Add turmeric powder & water and bring them to a boil.
- Close pan with its lid until ladies fingers become soft.
- Add coconut paste and saute in low flame until its raw smell disappears (or till it changes its color).
- Add water and bring to a boil in medium flame.
- Reduce flame to low and add curd, asafoetida & salt and mix them well.
- Remove from heat just before bringing to a boil.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with hot rice.
Mor-kuzhambu tastes good with plain rice, rice & mashed greens (kadaintha arai keerai) and also with adai (lentil dosa).
Suitable accompaniments for rice with mor-kuzhambu are:
- Banana Flower patties (Vaazhaipoo Vadai):
- Lentils Crumble (Paruppu Usili):
- Mushroom Stirfry:
- Ladies Finger Stir-fry:
- Broad Beans (Avaraikai) Poriyal:
- Brinjal-Drumstick Masala (kathri-murungai vadhakkal):
- Elephant’s Foot Yam Fry (chenai kizhangu varuval):