Aval puttu (sweet poha) is a traditional sweet usually prepared on Tamil New Year day. It tastes scrumptious when sprinkled over a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Beaten rice is an easily digestible form of rice with less gluten. Please check the recipe for aval puttu as below:
Time Taken: 30 min
Serves : 3
- Thick beaten rice (ketti aval) or poha – 1 cup
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – 1/8 tsp
- Water – 1 cup (for soaking beaten rice)
- Jaggery – 3/4 cup
- Water – 1/2 cup (for syrup)
- Coconut – 1/3
- Cardamom – 1 No.
- Ghee – 1 tsp
- Cashewnuts – 14 Nos.
- Grind coconut & cardamom coarsely and keep aside.
- Heat a pan with ghee, roast cashew nuts till golden and keep aside.
- Dry roast poha in a hot pan, grind into a coarse powder and keep aside.
- Boil water with turmeric powder & salt.
- Pour hot turmeric water over powdered poha gradually, mix well and set aside to absorb the liquid completely.
- Heat a pan with jaggery & water.
- When the syrup starts thickening add swollen poha and mix well.
- Add ground coconut & roasted cashews.
- Sweet poha is ready to serve.
- Turmeric powder is added only for its color.
- Please refer pictures below for the volume of poha before and after making puttu; it has got swollen to twice its volume when hot water is added.