Idicha panang kizhangu (pounded Palmyra sprout) is a traditional gluten-free fiber-rich snack that we relished during our childhood days. We all like the wonderful aroma of palmyra sprouts released while steaming them. My paternal grand mother used to pound them with great finesse that each & every bits were of same size!
In those days steamed sprouts were kept on the terrace for a day or two until dried completely and later pounded using ural & ulakkai, a large mortar (2-3 feet high) & pestle (about 5 feet length). If you are interested to know more about traditional Indian hand-driven appliances, please click here. Our maternal grandma preferred to serve the sprouts steamed rather than pounded as we, a dozen and odd grand children, did not have a patience to wait until they were dried & pounded! But my maternal uncle took over the whole process and we had no choice but to listen to him ! Finally we were served with this flavorful delicious snack and it was worth the wait for all of us!
Now lets get into the cooking procedure:
- First we need to remove the skin, chop off their heads and wash them.
- Pressure cook them (simmer for 20 min after bringing to high pressure) after adding 1 tbsp of turmeric powder & 1 tsp of salt; Alternately you can apply turmeric & salt paste on each sprout and steam them.
- Dry these cooked tubers under the Sun for a day or two.
- Slit open along the groove and remove the hard white spine.
- Remove fibres while breaking them into small pieces.
- Discard the spine & fibers.
- Palmyra sprouts – 10 Nos.
- Coconut – 1/4
- Green chillies – 3 Nos
- Garlic – 2 pods
- Salt – 3/4 tsp
- Grind the prepared palmyra sprouts & other ingredients into a coarse powder using food processor or mixer-grinder; you may have to grind them in 2 or 3 batches because of its volume. If you are grinding them in batches you can add salt at the end else you can add salt while grinding.
- Serve as an evening snack with hot cup of coffee or tea.
Please Note: You can also cook Palmyra sprouts using charcoal grill or BBQ grill that really enhances its earthen flavor.