Eggless walnut banana cake is my family’s favorite for its appealing flavor, texture & taste. Mashed bananas & toasted walnuts compliment each other, sweet bananas suppress the bitterness of walnuts and provide wonderful flavor & texture.Being a vegetarian I like to use walnuts as much as possible as these are few of the plant based sources of omega-3 fatty acid. At the same time I feel guilty to cook ripe bananas at high temperature as I have never come across the idea of cooking fruits in Indian cuisine; we rarely steam the fruits that are difficult to digest specially for infants. My father did not even approve of slicing fruits unnecessarily for loss of nutrients! So it is really debatable whether to cook fruits or not. Now lets look into the health benefits of walnuts :
Health Benefits of walnuts: Walnuts are good for kids who play tantrums as these are fantastic mood boosters. They are very useful for children & young adults to improve their brain health & body stamina. And for adults they help to prevent arthritis, control diabetes and improve metabolism.
The recipe for Eggless Walnut Bundt Cake is as below:
- Whole wheat flour – 1 and 1/2 cup
- Mashed banana – 1 and 1/2 cup (from 6 ripe bananas)
- Any neutral oil – 1/2 cup (I have used sunflower oil here)
- Golden caster sugar – 3/4 cup
- Dates – 12 Nos. (optional)
- Walnuts (akhrot paruppu)- 20 to 25 Nos.
- Baking Powder – 1 tsp
- Baking Soda – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
I rigorously follow 4 steps while baking cakes or muffins, ie., mixing dry ingredients, preparing cake batter, baking & frosting. I do not want to do frosting here to enjoy its natural sweeteners – banana & dates, but if you want you may pour honey or maple syrup before serving.
Step 1: Mixing dry ingredients
- Sift wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda & salt into a large bowl and keep aside.
Step 2: Preparing cake batter
- Toast walnuts at 180 deg C until they release nice aroma (about 5 min).
- Chop them into small pieces and keep aside.
- Chop the pitted dates into halves.
- Mash bananas using food processor or mixer-grinder without adding water.
- In a mixing bowl add mashed banana & caster sugar.
- Mix well until sugar is dissolved.
- Pour oil and mix until incorporated.
- Add flour mixture and combine together.
- Add chopped dates & walnuts and mix them.
- Now the batter is ready to be baked.
Step 3: Baking
- Preheat the oven at 180 Deg C.
- Grease a Bundt cake pan with half a teaspoonful of neutral oil.
- Pour batter into the greased pan.
- Bake for 40 min or until the toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Transfer to a plate and cut into wedges.
- Serve walnut cake at room temperature when the flavor of banana gets intensified.
- If you are using granulated sugar, reduce sugar to half a cup.
- If your bananas are too sweet, you can reduce sugar further.
- Same batter can be used for making muffins also.
- You may replace dates with apples or raisins.