I had kept left-over nutella unused for quite a few weeks and I was wondering how to empty its container in a one-shot. Then I came up with an idea of baking a chocolate cake using nutella & banana (replacing eggs). Although some do not like the idea of combining chocolate & banana, it worked wonders for me as a vegetarian. I was delighted with an impeccable outcome of luscious cake with moist texture & tender crumbs.
So here is the recipe for an eggless chocolate cake that combines the sweetness of banana with bitter cocoa to make it even more chocolaty:
Time Taken: 50 min
- Whole wheat flour – 1 cup (200 g)
- Cocoa powder – ½ cup ( 100 g)
- Baking Powder – 1 tsp
- Baking soda – ½ tsp
- Salt – ¼ tsp
- Ripe banana – 3 Nos.
- Un-refined caster sugar – 1 cup
- Nutella – ½ cup
- Any neutral oil – ½ cup
- Lukewarm water – ½ cup
For garnishing: (optional)
- Cucumber seeds (vellari vidhai)
- Fresh cherries
Step 1 : Sift the dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl and mix well.
Step 2: Preparing cake batter
- Mash banana using a food processor or mixer-grinder.
- Add sugar, nutella & oil into mashed banana and blend well.
- Pour nutella mixture into the flour and whisk to combine together.
- Pour lukewarm water into the batter and mix well until incorporated.
Step-3 : Baking
- Preheat the oven at 180 deg C.
- Grease a cake dish (I used the one of size 6½” x 6½” x 2″h) with oil & dust with flour.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle cucumber seeds over the batter.
- Bake for 40 min or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, transfer to a plate and allow it cool on a wire rack.
- Cut into medium-sized cubes and decorate with fresh cherries.
- Serve banana flavored chocolate cake.
- Store remaining cake in an airtight container for few days.
- If you are using granulated sugar, you may have to reduce it to ¾ cup.