Cassava root Poriyal

Cassava (yucca/ manioc) plants are widely grown in India as their roots are used for culinary purposes & leaves for their medicinal properties. These gluten-free tubers are called as maravalli kizhangu in northern districts of Tamilnadu & yezhilai kizhangu (meaning seven leaves) in southern districts.

c2-horz.jpg

Since they are available in plenty during Nov-Dec, I have been making cassava poriyal or kootu every week and serve them as a side for rice.

IMG_1636Sometimes we make this poriyal in large quantity and serve it as a simple yet hearty meal; we also use maravalli kizhangu to make chips, puttu, dosa, etc. & use them in other recipes as a substitute for potatoes.

IMG_1631Health Benefits: Cassava roots are good sources carbs & fiber that help in building lean muscle, it also contains potassium needed to reduce the blood pressure and folate that prevents birth defects and hence required for pregnant women.  You may refer here for the nutrient values of cassava root published by USDA.

We can use cassava roots’ by-products tapioca pearls (javvarisi) for making vadai & payasam, tapioca flour (as a thickening agent in desserts or added into ulundha vadai/ murukku dough to make them crispy) & kizhangu appalam in the off season.

IMG_6489

kizhangu appalam.JPGNow let us look into the recipe for maravalli kizhangu poriyal:

Time taken: 15 min

Yields: 1 cup

Ingredients:

1. Cassava root (maravalli kizhangu) – 6″ piece
  2. Coconut oil – 1 tbsp
  3. Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
  4. Black gram (split) – ½ tsp
  5. Curry leaves – 1 sprig
  6. Red chillies – 3 Nos.
  7. Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
  8. Salt – ½ tsp
  9. Asafoetida powder (hing) – 1/8 tsp (a pinch)
  10. Grated coconut (for garnishing) – as required

Cooking Method: The recipe for maravalli kizhangu poriyal is easy to follow and you can refer the photos below that are self explanatory.

Preparing the root: cassava chopping

Steaming:

steaming cassava.jpg

Tempering:
cassava poriyal

Advertisements

55 Comments Add yours

1. sevenroses says:

I love tapioca and always buy it from the market but of late they are coming out very watery. I wonder why?

Liked by 2 people

1. Megala says:

Do you mean that they become watery while cooking ? If so, it is mainly because of being tender, then it is better to steam them (for 5 minutes or less) rather than boiling.
      Btw thanks so much for stopping by !

1. sevenroses says:

No no, I mean they came as bad tapioca! however properly I steamed them, they were too watery and inedible!

Liked by 2 people

2. Megala says:

Oh, I have never come across such an issue, but I guess it may be an immature root !

Liked by 1 person

3. sevenroses says:

Probably. even my sister in Hyderabad found several she bought, were watery. But today there was an old man selling tapioca pieces on a cart near St. Johns Hospital in Bangalore. I stopped and bought them from him and they were like made in heaven! soft, fresh, tasty, perfectly salted and oiled!!!! he was so startled I bought so many, he put in one extra!

Liked by 2 people

4. Megala says:

Glad to hear this !! 🙂

2. Swati Awana says:

You really make unique dishes Megala! 🙂🙂👌👌👌👌👌

Liked by 2 people

1. Megala says:

Thanks, Swati !

Liked by 1 person

3. Oh how I wish I could try all the flavors! You must be so healthy!!!

Liked by 2 people

4. Dreamtemples says:

I love tapioca/maravalli kizhangu and usually have it boiled and salted.Thank you for this poriyal recipe!

Liked by 2 people

1. Megala says:

Yes, you can include this in your lunch ! Thanks for stopping by !!

Please share your thoughts here...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s