Idli with ketti chutney is a popular street food among bachelors who miss home-cooked food for their breakfast. Both my grand mothers prepared ketti chutney everyday but later we all switched to a quick chutney that does not require any tempering.
It is so heavenly to take spongy idli or dosa served with spicy coconut chutney generously drizzled with cold pressed sesame oil. Now you can find the recipe for our family’s traditional coconut chutney as below:
Time taken: 10 min.
Yields : 1¼ cup (250 ml)
- Coconut – 7 pieces (each 1 inch)
- Green chillies – 6 Nos.
- Fresh ginger – 1 piece (½ inch)
- Fried gram (roasted Bengal gram/ pottu kadalai) – 1/8 cup (25 g)
- Curd (yoghurt) – ¼ cup
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Sesame oil – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – ¼ tsp
- Shallots (sambar vengayam) – 6 Nos.
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Grind roughly chopped coconut, green chillies & ginger, fried gram & salt without adding water using mixer-grinder.
- Pour curd and grind again.
- Pour water (25 ml) and grind into a smooth chutney.
- Heat a pan with oil in medium flame.
- Add mustard seeds, when they begin to crackle add finely chopped shallots & curry leaves.
- Saute until shallots turn translucent.
- Add ground chutney & water (50 ml) to get the required consistency and combine together in low flame.
- Serve delicious ketti chutney with idli or dosa.
Tips & Tweaks:
- I used roasted gram & curd generously to reduce the heat of green chillies in here.
- I have prepared moderately spiced chutney but traditionally it was made spicier in those days; you can also try making it spicier just by leaving curd out.
- You may replace curd with a piece of tamarind, but I used curd to make chutney whiter.
- You may use split black gram and/or Bengal gram while tempering.
- You can easily peel ginger using the edge of a spoon’s head rather than using a peeler or knife.
- It is better to use grated coconut or scrape its brown skin off to keep the chutney whiter.
- My grandmother used to saute tomatoes (chopped into 4) for few seconds specially for kids to make it attractive & also to reduce its heat.