Typically pickling is a time-consuming process and those fermented pickles have longer shelf life. But I like to make instant pickles that can be consumed immediately and has limited shelf life. Besides I like to prepare melt-in-mouth mango pickle unlike the conventional one made al dente.
Now the recipe for instant mango pickle.
Time taken: 20 min.
Yields: ½ cup (100 ml)
- Unripe mango – 1 No. (or finely diced mango – 1½ cup)
- Sesame oil (nallennai) – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds (kadugu) – ¼ tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Red chilli powder – 1 tbsp
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida powder (hing) – ¼ tsp
- Peel the mango, cut into thin strips and then chop them into small cubes.
- Heat a cooking pan with sesame oil in medium flame.
- Add mustard seeds, when they begin to crackle add curry leaves.
- Turn off the flame and add chilli & turmeric powder.
- Saute for 5 seconds and then add chopped mangoes while turning on the flame again.
- Add salt & saute chopped mangoes in medium flame until the oil oozes out.
- Add asafoetida powder and mix well.
- Remove from flame.
- Transfer to a clean dry glass jar at room temperature and refrigerate for a week.