I feel it is more beneficial to take cornmeal than cornflakes for breakfast, hence I prefer to make gluten-free cornmeal puttu and protein-rich green gram sundal for breakfast. Puttu is usually prepared using rice flour, you may refer the table below to find out how cornmeal serves good for making puttu.
Whenever my mother prepares green gram sundal she used to make sweet sundal specially for me. Anyone, who enjoys sweet sundal as I do, would definitely find the unusual combination of puttu & sweet sundal more delicious than regular puttu & kadalai curry. Otherwise you may serve puttu with spicy curry made of any legume as shown below.
Now let us move on to the recipe for cornmeal puttu with sweet paasi payaru sundal:
- Coconut – one half
- Cardamom – 2 Nos.
- Cornmeal (makka chola maavu) – 1 cup
- Salt – ½ tsp
- Water – as required
- Coconut & cardamom mixture*
For sweet sundal:
- Whole green gram (Paasi payaru) – ½ cup
- Powdered jaggery – ½ cup
- Coconut & cardamom mixture – ¼ cup
Mise en place:
- Wash & soak lentils for 3 hours and pressure cook them until soft & tender.
- Meanwhile grind coconut & cardamom into a coarse powder.
- Keep ¼ cup of coconut mixture for sweet sundal & the remaining for puttu separately.*
- Add cornmeal & salt into a mixing bowl and mix well.
- Gradually pour water into cornmeal and mix gently with the tip of fingers until each & every grit becomes moist.
- Heat puttu steamer after adding sufficient water in high flame.
- When the water reaches its boiling point, reduce the flame to medium.
- Fill puttu vessel with flour & coconut mixture to the brim and attach it to the steamer.
- Steam for 10 minutes or until the steel rod inserted into the flour through the hole of lid comes out clean.
- Meanwhile heat a cooking pan with powdered jaggery in medium flame.
- When jaggery is completely melted away, add cooked lentils and mix well.
- Finally add coconut mixture and remove from heat.
- Detach puttu vessel from the steamer and push steamed puttu out using the steel rod given.
- Serve hot puttu with sweet sundal.
Please note: If you don’t have puttu vessel, you may just steam them after wrapping in a wet cloth.