Generally I prefer my cake moist & spongy but frosting free as buttery sugary frosting makes me feel guilty. Instead I enjoy my cake glazed with honey, fruit juice, or chocolate syrup. Now I have made spongy cake glazed with jackfruit pulp dotted with cucumber seeds.
For the spongy texture I added starch as suggested by Karin of The Austrian dish and for the beautiful glaze I drew the inspiration from Billie & Helen of Mia Kouppa’s vegan date cake. I am extremely satisfied with the outcome as I find this cake being one of my best cakes in all respects and I also thank them for their valuable inputs.
Now the recipe for eggless cornmeal cake with jackfruit glaze:
- Whole wheat flour – ¾ cup
- Cornmeal* – ½ cup
- Cornstarch** – ¼ cup
- Yogurt (curd) – 1 cup
- Sugar – ¾ cup
- Neutral oil – ½ cup
- Baking powder – 1¼ tsp
- Baking soda – ½ tsp
- Vanilla extract – ½ tsp
* Cornmeal is made by grinding corns into flour and is in yellow color.
** Cornstarch is a starch made out of corns, it is commonly known as corn flour in India.
- Seeded jackfruit bulbs – 15 Nos.
- Powdered jaggery – ¼ cup
- Cucumber seeds – as desired
- Sieve wheat flour, cornmeal & corn starch through a mesh for 2 or 3 times until they get mixed evenly.
- Preheat the oven at 170 deg C.
- Meanwhile pour yogurt into a mixing bowl.
- Add sugar and mix until dissolved.
- Pour oil and mix well.
- Add baking powder, baking soda & vanilla extract and whisk together.
- Add flour mixture and mix until incorporated.
- Grease a cake dish (6″ X 2″) with oil & dust it with flour.
- Pour batter into the cake dish.
- Bake for 40 min or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Meanwhile steam jackfruit bulbs for 5 to 7 min.
- Puree them at room temperature.
- Heat a pan with powdered jaggery in low flame.
- Stir in jackfruit puree when jaggery is melted.
- Blend together until well amalgamated.
- Add pumpkin seeds and mix well.
- Remove from flame.
- Invert the cake onto a plate when cooled down.
- Spread jackfruit glaze evenly over the cake using a spatula.
- Serve spongy cornmeal cake with jackfruit glaze.
Tips & Tweaks:
- If you are calorie conscious you can replace corn starch with whole wheat flour.
- You may also add chopped jackfruit bulbs into the cake batter.
- Cornmeal & jaggery is a delicious pair, so you may replace sugar with jaggery for the batter also as in the picture below.
- Since this cake tends to crack at the top, it is preferred to bake at lower temperature of 170 deg C. Please keep in mind that the lowest possible oven temperature in some of the locally available models is 180 deg C only.