Despite the fact that peanuts can cause ama (indigestion), my father as a follower of Mahathma Gandhi encouraged us to snack on peanuts even at the young age for 3 reasons: Peanuts are the only legumes grow underground, hence the rich sources of micro-nutrients than any other legumes; they are beneficial to vegetarians for being the greatest sources of plant-based protein; and it is possible to rid of ama while taking peanuts. Raw peanuts and roasted peanuts cause ama but not steamed peanuts, so we avoid taking raw peanuts altogether but we take roasted peanuts along with jaggery, some spices, or herbs that aid in getting rid of ama. Generally we snack on boiled peanuts salad (sundal), a popular street food, particularly during monsoon or winter and we also relish peanut candies, fried peanuts, etc. made using roasted peanuts.
Furthermore we use roasted peanuts to prepare chutney, use them as thickening agent for curries, and sprinkle them over rice dishes, poriyal, or salad for adding crunchy texture. Here I prepared a simple peanut butter mug cake in the microwave oven using home-made stomach-friendly peanut butter. First let’s look into the recipe for cardamom flavored peanut butter sweetened with jaggery :
Time taken: 10 min.
Yields: 1 and 1/4 cups of peanut butter
Peanut butter preparation:
- Heat the roasted peanuts (just to loosen the fat ) along with cardamom seeds in medium flame for 3 or 4 minutes.
- Add them into a mixer grinder along with salt, oil & jaggery.
- Grind them into a smooth dough.
- Transfer the dough into a mixing bowl.
- Pour water (or milk) little by little and combine together using electric mixer at low speed until smooth & creamy.
- It is better to use electric mixer rather than mixer-grinder to prevent the dough getting heated up as it may lead to separation of oil.
Now the recipe for peanut butter mug cake using whole wheat flour, home made peanut butter and jaggery: Since I have used sweetened cardamom-flavored peanut butter, you may add cardamom powder (or vanilla extract) and adjust the sweetener in your mug cake if you use store-bought peanut butter.
Ingredients for chocolate peanut butter mug cake:
|Whole wheat flour||1 and 1/2 tablespoons|
|Cocoa powder||1 and 1/2 tablespoons|
|Peanut butter||3 tablespoons|
|Powdered jaggery||1 and 1/2 tablespoons|
|Baking powder||1/4 teaspoon|
|Coconut oil*||1/4 teaspoon|
|Chocolate chips for topping||as needed|
Peanut butter mug cake making:
Time taken: 5 min.
- First we need to dissolve jaggery powder in little milk and then mix all ingredients one by one.
- For plain cake I have used 3 tablespoons of wheat flour, but not cocoa powder.
- Microwave both the mugs for up to 2 minutes 30 seconds (for 1 mug it may take 1 minute or more).
- Serve peanut butter mug cake warm.
*We normally use peanut oil for cooking alone, and it is not suggested for direct consumption unlike coconut oil or olive oil.