Coconut milk biryani recipe:
Time taken: 30 min. (excluding the time taken for extracting coconut milk)
Yields: 3 cups
|Rice (I used seeraga samba arisi)||3/4 cup|
|Home-made coconut milk (thin milk)||1 cup|
|Home-made coconut milk (first pressed thick milk)||1/2 cup|
|Thinly sliced onion||1 (large)|
|Blanched cauliflower florets||10 (bite sized)|
|Blanched broccoli florets||10 (bite sized)|
|Fresh peas||a handful|
|Pea beans (butter beans)||a handful|
|Carrot cut into batons||1 (medium sized)|
|Fresh mint leaves and/or coriander leaves||a handful|
|Green chillies||2 (you may adjust according to your palate)|
|Any neutral oil (I used sunflower oil)||20 ml|
Coconut milk biryani preparation:
Mise en place:
- Wash rice and soak in thin coconut milk for 30 minutes.
- Prepare biryani masala by grinding green chillies, ginger, garlic & shallots into a smooth paste after adding little coconut milk (instead of water).
- Boil the peas separately (I microwaved them for 4 min.)
- Chop mint leaves and/or coriander and keep aside.
Biryani cooking procedure:
- Heat the pressure cooker in medium flame.
- Pour oil into the cooker.
- Add bay leaf, cardamom and cinnamon.
- Add sliced onion and saute until transluscent.
- Add biryani masala and saute for 2-3 min.
- Now add all the vegetables & chopped mint leaves and saute for 2-3 min.
- Pour thin coconut milk and bring it to boil.
- Then reduce the flame to low.
- Pour thick coconut milk into the cooker.
- Add rice followed by salt and gently mix them.
- Close the pressure cooker and simmer for 7 min.
- Remove from heat.
- When the pressure is released add boiled peas and mix gently with wooden spatula.
- Serve hot with Kashmiri dum aloo.
Tips & Tweaks:
- Biryani usually tastes even more delicious after 3 or 4 hours, so you can prepare biryani in the morning if you want to serve for lunch.
- You may add beans, baby potatoes, baby corns, or any other vegetable suitable for biryani.
- If you are using store-bought coconut milk, you may have to dilute it in the ratio of 1:1 before cooking.
- I boiled fresh peas separately only to retain the green colour.