Mukkani Payasam

Reading Panchangam (an almanac prepared based on Indian calendar system) is an age-old custom practiced on the day of Tamil New Year that falls in the mid April. A few centuries ago royal priests were summoned to read a new Panchangam in the king’s court mentioning important dates of the year and also foretelling the calamities like flood, war, etc. Even today every TV channel telecasts the speech rendered by astrologers predicting the next prime minister, rain fall, gold price, etc. that are of great interest to all walks of life .

Our New Year celebration is incomplete without mukkani (meaning three sweet fruits- mango, jackfruit & banana), a bowl of mukkani is usually kept in the pooja room & the idols at home are adorned with gold jewelry on the eve of New Year, and people like to wake up to the sight of sweet fruits (mukkani) & decorated idols in the New Year wishing good health & prosperity.

Now I have prepared a dessert using mukkani that can be served as payasam for lunch, and it tastes tantalizingly delicious when served chilled. I prefer to use nendram pazham than any other banana variety for the bright yellow color & its sweet aroma, thin coconut milk to dilute the fruit pulp, thick coconut milk to make it creamy, and also used golden castor sugar as sweetener (actually this fruit payasam can be relished even without any sweetener). I have not added any aromatic spice like cardamom mainly to enjoy the fruit flavors to the fullest. Besides I have added roasted cashew nuts, chopped mangoes and sweet boondhi for adding textures to this creamy dessert.

Mukkani Payasam:

Ingredients:

Banana1
Mango (finely chopped)1
Jackfruit bulbs (seeded)10
Coconut milk (thin)200 ml
Coconut milk (thick)50 ml
Golden castor sugaras needed
Cashew nuts (roasted in ghee)as desired
Sweet boondhi (optional)as desired

Payasam preparation:

• Steam the banana and jackfruit bulbs for 5 minutes and make a fruit pulp.
  • Heat a sauce pan with fruit pulp in low flame.
  • Pour thin coconut milk into the pan and combine together.
  • Add sugar and mix well until melted away.
  • Pour thick coconut milk and mix well.
  • Remove from heat and leave aside until it reaches the room temperature.
  • Refrigerate mukkani payasam for few hours.
  • Serve chilled after garnishing with chopped mango, sweet boondhi and roasted cashew nuts.

You may also check out my other Tamil New Year recipes like aval puttu, veppampoo pachadi, veppampoo rasam, avial, adai pradhaman, masal vadai, and festive sambar.
I wish all my Tamil readers a very happy New Year!

Advertisements

99 Comments Add yours

1. Meenal Jhala says:

Oh! Delicious.

1. Megala says:

Thanks!

2. I enjoy learning about cultural traditions, thanks for sharing your knowledge and this delicious recipe. Happy New Year Megala!

1. Megala says:

I’m so glad, thanks much. πŸ™‚

1. You’re very welcome πŸ™‚

3. Yummy πŸ˜‹ I have nominated you for the Sunshine Blogger Award! Enjoy it! https://popsiclesociety.com/2019/04/19/sunshine-blogger-award-5/

1. Megala says:

Thanks Ribana! I will check this out.

4. You are well aware of our tradition, I think I can save your blog and give it to my daughters, nothing is needed more to do. Thank you πŸ’

1. Megala says:

I started posting here with the sole purpose of sharing our recipes, traditions and culture useful to our family, particularly to younger generation. Now I am happier to see people like you who stay away from our homeland also finding them useful.
      Thanks much for reading my posts and encouraging me to write more.

1. You are doing that very well. Honestly my parents or grandparents didn’t teach me much as happened to you . (Everyone has their own issues in life) I am learning many beautiful information through your posts and happy I can pass it to children. You are very welcome and keep up your good work πŸ˜ƒπŸ‘

2. Megala says:

πŸ™‚

5. Lady Oscar says:

Wow! Three sweet fruits for New Year! How interesting in the beautiful culture!
    Although it is not New Year now, I am more than interested in making this meaningful dish on weekend. ^^

1. Megala says:

It is so nice of you to say so, thanks much.
      Have a wonderful weekend!

1. Lady Oscar says:

oh by the way, I have a question… is it possible to have another sweet fruit to replace jackfruit ? It seems not easy to find jackfruit around my area…

2. Megala says:

Jackfruit is the star ingredient in here, but I think you can replace it with any fleshy fruit that is luscious & fragrant like figs, peach, sapote (chikoo), etc. I would love to hear from you how it turns out for you while replacing jackfruit. πŸ™‚

3. Lady Oscar says:

Yeah! Thank you! Figs sound good. I actually tried a little with figs, it came out good. Now I will make more!

Also, after I left the message, suddenly I saw jackfruit in a market… “Be careful what you wish!” ^O^

4. Megala says:

Hahaha! I am so happy about it. πŸ™‚

6. This looks like a wonderful treat!

1. Megala says:

Yes, it really is. Thank you.

7. awesome. I never tried with these 3.

1. Megala says:

Hope you like this combo. Thanks!

8. Thanks for sharing this beautiful recipe of delicious payasam. Megala u r awesome with your preparations.

1. Megala says:

Thanks much!

1. Welcome Megala

9. Now that is a treat I’d like to celebrate with all year round! Such a brilliant combination of fresh fruits and fun, crunchy garnishes.

1. Megala says: