Thanks for visiting my blog.
About me & my blog:
- I am Megala living in Chennai, India.
- As a mother I felt that health of a family lies in the kitchen and hence I started my culinary journey towards identifying healthy cooking practices. In this journey I realized that we are incompetent to experiment in the kitchen unless we have the ability to make good judgments on grains, herbs, spices, oil, etc. used in that recipe.
- Although I have been trying continental & fusion recipes, I derive immense satisfaction while cooking traditional food that my mother & grand mothers served to me. So I landed here to keep an archive of our family recipes. Apparently you will find those recipes that I would like to serve to my family.
- All my recipes list down the measurement for all ingredients including salt, oil and water as they are the key ingredients attributing taste and consistency of any food. Although my mother & other elders in the family follow eye-ball measurement, I learnt these measurements through practice. I prefer to use salt little less than required as I season with iodized salt while serving. This aids in better absorption of iodine.
- My recipes are illustrated with step-by-step photos so that anyone can try them just by looking at those pictures; yet I recommend to read them for some useful tips & tweaks.
- I reckon we have to be aware of what we eat & why we should eat them. So I include the links of reputed sites for nutrition details & health benefits.
- My recipes are influenced by my parents, relatives and friends; my parents, parents-in-law & relatives are natives of Tirunelveli, a southern town of Tamilnadu in India.
I thank my husband for his support & encouragement and my son, who is interested in photography, for teaching me photography !
I also thank my mother who is an avid-gardener, produces her own organic vegetables & fruits and has been inspirational to me.
I dedicate this blog to my late father who used to encourage us to take healthy food and gift us books on health & nutrition, some of those books that I find useful are:
If you find my blog interesting & useful, stay connected for healthy traditional vegetarian recipes !